it is pouring down rain. again! i know you might not find this strange, but this is indeed very strange. it NEVER rains like this in denver. i feel like it’s been raining for a month straight. and i’m upset, because one of the great perks of living in denv-o is that it is always sunny! i want a refund for the month of may. i’m not paying taxes or something….
i guess one thing the rain will be good for is to see if our basement floods. that will be helpful to know about before we finish that sucker. hopefully someday soon, as i think mr. hutch’s back problems are from having to watch tv on our kitchen counter.
anyways, on such a rainy day as this. i thought i should tell you about my adventures in the DIY world. let’s start with the door turned headboard.
i’m not even really sure where this door came from, but i saw it in our basement one day and thought, i should turn that into a headboard. it’s not one of the original 1920’s doors to the house i don’t think, but probably came on the scene when ardie finished the basement – possibly in the sixties? i don’t know, who cares anyways…
ok so the door when i began this project (back in march!?) was covered in about 10 coats of paint. and my original plan was just to strip off the paint, sand it, and stain it a light grey color. easy enough. i went to home depot and bought a can of stripper.
this stripper committed the same crime as denver’s weather – false advertisement. it says as you can see – it removes multiple layers of paint and that it is fast and easy. false.
i used this multiple times on the dumb door and after the can was completely emptied, there was still a ton of paint to be stripped. and that was annoying to me, so i gave up on the project for a while. a little insight into my personality if you will.
so then the door sat in our yard. where it snowed, rained, etc. not sure if these were essential steps to the final outcome, but you should know them just in case.
about six weeks after what we can call the “weathering stage” of the project, i decided to try something else. maybe i could just sand the paint of the door. so i sanded it for like an hour (i want to say four hours because that is what it felt like). welp – sanding paint doesn’t reallllly work. and i basically ended up with the door looking like it had patches of paint on it. hmph. i swear i took pics of this but i can’t find them.
so i obvi got bored and tired of sanding. so i stopped. and just decided to paint the thing and see what happened.
so i diluted some light grey paint so it looked more like colored water (i never got around to buying the stain and thought maybe stain was just like watered down paint…). and slopped it on (litterally). and despite the water consistency… it still looked like paint. so i took a wet rag and wiped it off. i like how that turned out. so i basically did a few coats of that – water paint plus wet rag. until finally i was reallllly over the project and decided i would wait for it to dry and see how it turned out.
and….i loved it!
my brother in law once told me if you put man hours into something your brain likes the outcome a lot more than if you just bought or saw something (something like that anyways). so maybe it’s the fact that i spent probably six grueling hours on this project over the course of two months (hehe). and that’s why i like it so much, but i really do. especially since the door was free (well came with the house) and the i probably spent 20 bucks on the paint and stripper. not bad for a headboard!
i still have some plans for it too. i want to put on an antique door knob, and maybe hang a little bitty vintage-y love sign from it. so that will probably take me another couple of months…and i’m sure you’ll get the update by christmas.
and just for the record. it’s still raining.
ps – my next DIY project did not turn out as well….perhaps i’ll share that when it’s still raining tomorrow.